WELCOME TO SPANISH 1
My name is Mr. Martinez and I will be your child's Spanish teacher. I am glad that you have chosen Spanish as part of your academic study at Vista Verde Middle School. Spanish, as well as other world languages, plays a major role in today’s society not only in preparing you for college, but it is essential for foreign travels, various business negotiations, career advancement and communicating with those who don’t speak our language. Our program is based on the principle that you will become proficient in the language through the use of the skills of listening, speaking, reading, and writing. You will be studying conversation, vocabulary, grammar and culture, and should have a good understanding of the Spanish language and the people who speak it upon completion of the course. We will be using the textbook ¡Exprésate! and its accompanying materials and will cover specific thematic units.
1st period--Digital Arts
3rd period--Spanish 1
7th period--Spanish 1
**All my classes meet daily in room 509.
*VOCABULARY QUIZ on Wednesday 2/17/16*
*HOMEWORK WEEK OF: FEB. 15-FEB. 19*
1. Cuaderno de vocabulario y grámatica, p. 57
1. Cuaderno de vocabulario y grámatica, p. 58
1. Cuaderno de vocabulario y grámatica, p. 59
1. Work on Project*Parents please help your child create an email account or they can use your existing one, if possible. Students need email access to create an account to an educational website that they will be using to help them with material being learned in the class. They will be completing homework assignments from this website as well. Students need the email account by Wednesday 9/23/15!
Students have already checked out their Spanish Textbook and Cuaderno de vocabulario y grámatica from the library, so they can do their homework. The homework assignment is to be completed on a sheet of paper. Homework will be checked on a daily basis at the beginning of class. If a student does not complete a homework assignment at home, he or she may be assigned a MISSING ASSIGMENT STUDY HALL to complete that assignment after school. Students are encouraged to email me at email@example.com if they have any questions or issues with the homework. I will check my email everyday at about 5 P.M. and will respond promptly to any questions.
CHAPTER 5 PROJECT: ARBOL GENEALOGICO (FAMILY TREE)
Students will create family trees. Students may draw a diagram of their own family, a fictitious family, or a famous one. Students will give an oral presentation explaining the relationships between members on the tree.1. Students can sketch a rough draft of their tree. They can begin with one set of grandparents, adding all their children. Then they can add the marriages and children of the next generation, and so on. Students can do the same for the next set of grandparents.
2. When a rough draft of the family tree is done, students can outline the tree on poster board, they can then transfer the information from the rough draft onto the final draft.
3. Students need to add drawings, photos, or magazine photos.
4. Students need to add a description (at least 2 sentences) in Spanish of each family member using the vocabulary learned in Chapter 5.
5. Project is due on FEBRUARY 24, 2015
Oral Presentation.............................30 pts.
Language use..................................20 pts.
COUNTRIES OF THE WORLD WHERE SPANISH IS THE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE